by: Heather Cook
After a long day of teaching, Jesus and His disciples got into a boat to cross over to the other side of the Sea of Galilee. When their short sailing trip was interrupted by a violent storm, the disciples found themselves in danger with nowhere to turn—except to the One who created all things.
Several of the disciples were experienced fishermen. They had spent significant time on the Sea of Galilee, but this storm was so strong that the waves overtook the boat. The disciples were afraid they would drown. As the disciples panicked, what was Jesus doing? He was sleeping!
The disciples woke Jesus. The situation was out of their control, and perhaps they felt forsaken by God. But their reaction was full of irony: “Teacher! Don’t you care that we’re going to die?” (Mark 4:38).
The disciples obviously did not know why Jesus had come to earth. Jesus had come to rescue people from sin. In dying on the cross, Jesus would truly be forsaken by God. (See Matt. 27:46.) Jesus would die the death the disciples—and all sinners—deserve so that they could live forever with God. Did Jesus care that the disciples were going to die? Absolutely. But He was going to rescue them from something worse than drowning. Jesus would save them from spiritual death.Jesus calmed the wind and the waves. He displayed His power over creation and demonstrated that He is truly God. God has power over the wind and the waves. (See Job 12:15; 28:25; Ps. 33:7; 107:25-30; Amos 4:13.)
Jesus’ disciples knew Jesus was a good man and a good teacher. But when Jesus calmed the wind and the waves, He showed His disciples that He is also God. God rules the sea and stills its waves. (Psalm 89:9)
As you talk with your kids, seize the opportunity to share the gospel. Help them understand the truth the disciples did not yet fully grasp. Who is this man? He is the Messiah, the Savior, and the Son of God.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
○ Jesus and the disciples were in a boat during a storm.
○ Jesus told the wind and waves to be still.
○ Jesus showed His friends that He is the Lord.
○ Jesus has power over everything He made.
○ Jesus showed He is God’s Son.
○ Jesus calmed a storm.
○ Why did Jesus perform miracles? Jesus performed miracles to show He is the Son of God.
○ Jesus calmed a storm to show the disciples He is God.
○ Why did Jesus perform miracles? Jesus performed miracles to glorify God, to show He is the Son of God, and to care for people.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
● Psalm 40:5
● “Jesus Fed a Crowd” (Matthew 14; Mark 6; Luke 9; John 6)